Your First WebsiteAre you ready to start your First Website?
Making a website is an important step for any modern business.
What do you need to start a website project?
We have managed hundreds of website design projects for a range of different business types.
Over and over we have found the same thing. And that is that most businesses have to collect a lot of assets before starting a website project. Sounds simple, but what exactly do you need and where do you start?
For example, you may need to ensure you have the rights to a name or have a unique logo that can be protected.
To help, we have put together a comprehensive list of what you need before starting your first website.
Please note although this is Australian specific many of the requirements are the same for any business.
1. A Business Plan
As the saying goes, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” Therefore, your first step should be to ensure that you have a clear written plan of what is needed to make your website a success.
This doesn’t need to be a formal plan, but having a 3 month, 12 months and 3-year picture is a very good idea. And it must be written down! If it’s not written down, it remains an idea only. Now ideas on their own are great, but they are also easily forgotten. Make sure you write the vision down!
2. A Business Logo
Of course, you need a business logo but it needs to do a few things. Some things to consider include:
- What would an icon for a smartphone app look like with your logo? You need a square version of your logo that works in a small size.
- Dark and Light Backgrounds – Your logo often needs to be used as an overlay on dark and light backgrounds.
- Small and Large Version – Your logo needs to look at home on the desktop and mobile devices. Make sure it can fit in tight spaces if needed.
- Black and White Version – Testing you logo without colour is a great idea. If it works in black and white, it will work in lots of other modes.
If you need help with a logo and branding please contact us.
3. Your Branding Defined
A brand is more than your logo. It also includes photo styles and fonts, as well as a colour palette. Make sure that you document what you want your brand to be to ensure you get a website design that is you, and not a repeat of a nice template.
4. A Registered ABN & Domain Name
To get a .com.au domain you need your domain name registered with an Australian Business Number. Make sure you have an ABN and have registered the business name to secure your ideal domain name.
… to keep reading and get the complete checklist, please complete the form at the bottom of this page.
Get our complete checklist (built from over 10 years experience!)
Want our complete list of required items?
To get our complete checklist, please complete the form below and we will send you a PDF document.
And please, don’t worry. We won’t email you to death. We hate those auto followup emails that never leave you alone!
From filling out this form you will receive three emails only. They are:
- The document with the checklist.
- A followup to see how you are going.
- A bit of motivation down the track with some links to other helpful stuff. This will assist you in getting your website in a super awesome state to promote your business.
- Bonus (optional) – Our monthly newsletter which you can opt out of at any time if you find it boring (which I really hope you don’t!)
If you want our awesome list of checks, then please complete the form below and get off to the right start on your website.
Download our Free Checklist
Getting the right start can make a huge difference!
Submit the form below to download our complete checklist instantly.